Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Not Sure Pedagogy is My Thang


I’m honestly still not sure what I was expecting when I designed a writing exercise for my non-fiction class. I brought in a bunch of magazines that I hoped would inspire and focus their creativity. The only rules I had were to not write about the actual magazine, or about the experience of reading it. I meant to get everyone thinking like freelance-writers, contributing to the publication they held in their hands. I probably could’ve been clearer on that point, but everybody had interesting things to say.

It would’ve been nice to have everyone flipping through the same magazine, but I couldn’t obtain that many copies of any particular one so we made due with a variety. The exercise still seemed to succeed in providing my classmates subject matter to write about. In the end, I really appreciated the professor’s view that I had generated a reminder of how much in this world there truly is to write about.

And I learned a ton about the Morgan horse breed.

8 comments:

  1. Muahahahahahhahhahha *cough* your welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me reiterate that I think you opened up our heads a little bit. In fact, a lot. Sure, it's dreaming to imagine getting published in National Geographic, and yet, why not? It made me think about Vietnam all over again and how much I really have to say about that time in my life. It was eye opening and also quite good for us to "hold" something in our hands. Writing = the real world. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the exercise was a window into a world yet unexplored, a reminder of the vastness out there as opposed to the time to enjoy it. In an interview with the astronauts who landed on the moon in 1969, they all reiterated that they were too busy to enjoy walking on the moon--too busy to enjoy walking on the moon. As we ride the electronic pulses at light speed today, live our lives in time compression, eventually we reach the place where we turn around to see nothing but a trail of dust and realize we were too busy to enjoy it. Good exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This exercise actually made me think what I have to offer the world. For awhile now I have been thinking what a small fish I am in such a big sea of writers (so cliche I know) But its really true. Everyone can write out there but How can I or we beat the odds and write about what we want and have a true passion for it. Its going to take practice no doubt, but pushing forward having fun while doing it is what matters right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was interesting. I always thought the idea of magazine writing was fun, particularly something "the Onion" style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely thought it was a good exercise. It made me try to think of writing in the economic world, and not just to try and entertain classmates and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was an excellent exercise. I think a lot writers don't realize they have to gain experience and make money some how. Freelancing is perfect venue for it. I did for 2 years at the CITY Newspaper and I learned so much from my time there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually really enjoyed your exercise. It got me to think about topics that I usually wouldn't think about, and honestly, I floated the idea of actually writing the article/essay/piece/whatever that I started for your exercise. I still might do so. Even beyond the aspects of making money with your writing, it got me to realize that I know more about some things than I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete